September 16, 2016 is National Play Dough day!
What better way to engage with your child than to create some homemade play dough and let your imaginations run wild! Here at Rainbow Child Care Center, we love play dough. We love that while making play dough your child is learning how to follow a recipe and they are building their math and science skills while measuring ingredients and observing the changes that occur. We love that mixing the ingredients and molding the dough builds fine motor muscles. We love that the dough can be used to form letters and numbers building on your child’s emerging literacy skills and that their cognitive thinking skills are engaged as they build new creations. But most of all we love that play dough is FUN!
September also brings us the first day of fall and in the spirit of getting ready for all things fall here is a wonderful Fall Pumpkin Pie Play Dough Recipe for you to enjoy with your child!
1. Work with your child to measure and add the pumpkin pie filling, water, coconut oil, pumpkin pie spice and orange food coloring to a large pot and heat on the stove (stirring regularly) until just bubbling.
2. Remove from heat and help your child add in dry ingredients. Stir until combined and dump mixture out on the counter.
3. Allow to cool for 5 or 10 minutes.
4. Help your child knead dough until soft and fully cooled (it may feel sticky in the beginning)
5. Store in an airtight bag or container in the fridge when not in use.