Moments in Time!
Time is an abstract concept and one that is difficult for children understand. We often refer to time and time concepts throughout the day without even realizing it. “We need to leave in 5 minutes.” “Dinner will be ready in 2 minutes.” “Dad will be home soon.” “We can play that game in a little bit.” Do these all sound familiar? To a child, these statements may be confusing or hard to understand. Here at Rainbow Child Care Center we work every day to help your child understand this concept.
You can help your child understand the concept of time at home by:
- Sticking to time limits when given, if you say 2 minutes or 5 minutes stick to it. Don’t say that they have 5 minutes to play but then force them to clean up 30 seconds later.
- Setting visual reminders, use a sand timer or kitchen timer when giving time limits.
- Pointing out clocks and showing them what it looks like at certain times and what it will look like when it is time for an activity. If you are going to eat dinner at 5 o’clock have a picture of a clock and what it will look like.
- Using sequencing words such as first, next, before, after, beginning, etc.
- Creating a picture schedule with important events during the day, next to the event place a picture of a clock set to the time the event will occur.